Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Manners, Customs and Dress During the Middle Ages

I just found this book on the Project Gutenburg site, and wanted to share it. It's currently the #5 most popular book on the project's site.

Although most modern games gloss over historical cultural and political structures, as a student of history I find the minutiae of such fascinating. Occasionally I will find something that I can write into a game that gives flavor, and sometimes it becomes a major underpinning of the story. For example, in "The Heir of Soguer", the system of vassalage is really central to the story. I've tried to engage the players in that by having it brought up by NPCs, making it the source of the current major conflict in the story, and even knighting the player's characters in the game. All of this has been wonderful detail that helps create a historical feel for my game, as well as informing the central conflict.

I'm hoping that this book yields more of such wonderful details. It has more than 400 woodblock prints, as well.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10940/10940-h/10940-h.htm

No comments: